Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sweet indulgences!

I have been shopping like there is no tomorrow – jewellery, sarees, suits, home stuff, utensils, baby clothes, gifts, make up. And, I am yet not quenched. I have always bought the essentials on my India trips, stocked up on what was not available; but with SG taking care of masalas, and other basic stuff needed in an Indian household, I am free to direct my energy and attention elsewhere. And what a ball it has been! Tough on the purse but energising for me and my frayed spirits!

I have not been able to venture far but been happy shopping in the little shops that dot the bazaar near my home. There is no fun like sitting in a shop, watching fabric after fabric falling in a heap in front of you. The variety available is a treat. Brocade and chanderi prints are the rage here, and just feasting on the blazing and antique finish colourful fabrics is enough to bring a smile on a woman’s face. Add to this, shopping for chikan suits and kurtis. There is something about this form of embroidery, full of nazaakat, that you can never have enough of it. The heavier and the brighter, the better!

I have walked down narrow lanes into dirt-wracked pooja bhandaars selling deepams and all stuff brass and its copy. It is not like walking into a fancy home store but the treasure hunt and prices are worth it. I visited a street market, going berserk buying spools of fancy lace at ludicrously cheap prices. They are bit shiny and gaudy, but then doesn't every thing find its place some day. Another great buy on this day out was a traditional wooden bangle stand. It has four horizontal wooden rods, with dome-shaped edges painted golden, balanced on roughly cut vertical, wooden blocks. It is not an excellent piece of artisanship but its crudity is what makes it pretty.

When I could and had the appetite, I jostled with crowds, with my pattal stretched, waiting for my turn for yummy golguppas. There is nothing like biting into a jalebi or samosa fresh out of the wok on a cold day.

Sadly, much of this has slowed down as the countdown to the d-day has officially begun. I am excited but slowly losing enthusiasm. The big day is no more months away and can no longer be postponed to the future. Bodily signs in preparation of the big day are slowly and silently making their appearance. It gets uncomfortable, not to mention the frequent mood swings, but the thought of all that I have bought and would buy in the future keeps me warm and happy. I may appear funny that way but that is how I am.

No comments: