Wednesday, September 21, 2011

So how is it going, you ask?

Frankly, the lack of people, or maybe the hugeness of space in Singapore that consumes people,is unnerving. I have lived compact most of my life. There was no dearth of space when I was growing up but I lived on a street that was consumed by the adjacent marketplace every festival big or small. If your watch ran out on you, be ensured that the mandir aartis and bhajan times would every quarter or so of the day let you know how much time you have to or have killed. Delhi was no different, with my university being an anthill of youngsters amidst a lush forest patch that boasted of neelgais, jackals and peacocks. Hong Kong was the zenith of living a pigeonholed life, city rat style. For a person with such baggage of experience and past, Singapore is a shock. Most of the time I am telling P how so and so street reminds me of so and so part of Lucknow. There are wide, near deserted streets; trees and more trees; scope to go for an evening jog or a stroll down a rain-washed road with the wind messing your hair; home with balconies; duplex houses; and lots of indian restaurants. Not that these make me miss Hong Kong any less. I miss it with every breath I take. Cheesy, yes, but exactly the way I feel. I miss its ability to squeeze life out of you but charm you with its myriad surprises. Right, in real life it is not so romantic a place but it is the laddu that you anyway want to savor. Trust me! House hunt has been pretty interesting. Our hopes for a big place have bloated beyond realistic expectations and that has seen us sport a disappointed face and tick off the agent despite being shown condos with good fixtures and decent space. We are yet not down to earth and by the way it is going, it seems unlikely. Amidst all these events, lil baby has begun making its presence felt. And the more it kicks and jiggles, the more I worry about it having enough brain matter and looks. The rest is uneventful and not worth talking about. I am jobless, purposeless, with plenty of time in hand and swollen feet. But I am good :-)

No comments: