Saturday, November 20, 2010

Panting over paintings

I am in seventh heaven! Two paintings up! After listening to P’s grumbling for months over neglecting the painting he gifted me and feeling devastated over my own pick looking drab in frame, the Eureka idea hit me like lightning. P was immediately put to work and the genius he is, my masterpieces were up and hanging in minutes. Needless to say, they look fabulous together!

And every time I have one more frame up, I am reminded of the 14-year-old who left no corner of her room bare. There were drawings all over. A huge hand-made poster of Daisy Duck adorned the door that opened into the living room. My dad did a double-take every time he entered my room and I had to grudgingly take off a few of my lovelies.

Some day when I have a daughter, I want her to pick a pen and scribble like there is no tomorrow (a son will be no less welcome to do the honours). I know I will regret that! But I want her to get over her inhibitions and know that every discovery begins with few failures. Decorating one’s home comes naturally to some people but for most it is a tedious and scary process. I belong in the latter category.

I am taking baby steps towards putting together a home that has a soul and a look. Material goals are often more elusive than the spiritual ones. But I will be there someday. Till then back to drooling over my new loves.

No comments: