Saturday, December 26, 2009

New age heroes

A Sherlock Holmes drugged by his rogue of a lady love, waking up naked with his hands chained to the bed posts and the key festooned to his manliness is believable to me. A man imperfect, susceptible to goof ups, locked for two weeks in his room and drilling bullets in the wall for want of work and willing to plunge into the dark world for answers appeals to me.

I am a 28 year old audience that today’s film director well understands is unimpressed by the precision and the slowly thinning fog of a mystery. I may look prim and proper with my hair parted down the middle but my mind is as active as a beehive. It needs kicks and its needs excitement. A humourless tale of the past that wets the senses with its aesthetics is good on a certain day but me the 28 year old audience, a character as muggy as the Hong Kong skies, needs action, likes her hero to moan and groan, be a faithful friend and covet the friend’s woman as well.

And so as old fashions come back into fashion, we the yuppies of varying degrees are digging out our super heroes from the comic annals and concocting skeletons to make them more real and juicy. We do Freud proud with our anatomy of the id, ego and super ego.

It is Holmes, Batman and Spiderman for now. Watson, Robin, Alfred and Mary Jane may be next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Watson got a makeover too, don't you? Thank you for stopping by my blog and for sharing! Happy New Year.

Footloose and Screwloose said...

I am ashamed to admit, I haven't read Sherlock Holmes ): Thanks for stopping by and happy new year to u too.