Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Et tu Varun?

Varun Gandhi is suddenly in news for his anti-Muslim rambunctiousness at a pre-election rally in Pilibhit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1w1GupAvnU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FKPFweGbRY

I expected him to do better than spewing communal vitriol for publicity.

If Behenji had spoken such, I would had pursed my lips in disgust and dismissed it as a menopausing woman’s cacophony. But she is smarter.

She is so smart that her foot soldiers are drawn from all over the bahujan samaj, her party sidekick happens to be an upper caste man who even shakes a leg on her birthdays and her party men kill government officers who refuse to send monetary gifts to her.

But this is a 29-year-old guy with a star-studded lineage, best of education (or not), lots of exposure and a book of poems to his credit. He is a face I would have expected Tehelka to feature in its political young Turks section.

Tch tch…

PS: I have lately grown sensitive to all that ‘minority’ denotes. I live in a country err... an autonomous city state where I am in minority despite a 30,000 plus Indian population.

I look different, my food is different, my beliefs are different, my accent is different and I smell different. The owner of one of the apartments we liked refused to rent it to us because of our nationality. I have heard of people who hold their noses when an Indian walks by.
I have noticed discreet exchange of glances when a beautiful girl in an Indian dress or an unstylish outfit by HK standards walks by. I have heard of pork eating people who can’t bear the heady smell of spices stewing in an Indian household.

Though such incidents are few, they trigger a sense of alienation.

This is my home away from home and I have put a bit of my soul into it. Though I live on the fringes of the society here, I am very much a part of it.

And what if I was to return to India some day only to be told by a wannabe zealot to go back because I no more confirm to Indianness?

No comments: